Visible top-management commitment is considered the most effective strategy for removing barriers to employment and advancement for people with disabilities.
Taking strategic action shows that your business is making this commitment. Here are some strategies you may wish to consider:
- Establish organizational objectives/plans for the employment of people with disabilities. Assign accountability for implementation. Be sure to include employees with disabilities in the planning process if possible.
- Develop a policy statement on employing people with disabilities and place it on the website.
- Sponsor an employee resource group for people with disabilities, caregivers, and allies.
- Chair a diversity committee or council, and establish a disabilities-oriented subgroup.
- Apply for an award or participate in establishing one.
- Establish a goal for a proportion of spending with businesses that are majority-owned by people with disabilities.